Monday 23 June 2014

MUSIC // Ed Sheeran - Multiply review

Today Ed Sheeran's new album was released! I've been waiting for it for absolutely ages and recently have definitely been keeping up to date with the new tracks as he has released them. I finally got my paws on the album this afternoon (before listening to it on Spotify all morning) so here is my review for Music Monday!


In short: 4/5 stars
Firstly - it's a fantastic album. Every song is good in its own right. Sure, there are some that I'll listen to more than others. There are definitely a few tracks that are stand out tracks and some that could be considered as 'fillers'. However, even those that I don't like too much aren't bad. It's really quite a good album.

To me (and I have been a fan for quite a few years), Ed has really gone back to his roots. There is a lot more of his incredibly fast speaking and less so of his acoustic love songs. Sure, it was the acoustic love songs that got me hooked on his last album but I understand what he's done with this second album. It's more upbeat (in places) and in general the complete opposite of Plus. 

I think the one thing that gets me is there are a couple of tracks where the intro REALLY sounds like another song. Once you are into the actual song they are completely different - but still. Photograph definitely caught me off guard - I thought I'd put my iPod on shuffle and was listening to Mayday Parade (I love the song though!)

Overall, the album is really lovely. It's more upbeat, the music is technically much more complex. There are more layers and it is more produced than his last album and for that I feel like you can't really compare them. Every single track on Plus was a stand out track for me, whereas Multiply just has a few that I will listen to until I am sick of them. Still, I would happily listen to the entire album time and time again. I love it!

TOP TRACKS
One - Ed Sheeran isn't Ed Sheeran without a love song and I love this one. It's pretty much perfect.
Sing - It's so catchy and sounds like JT so much but I cannot help but sing and dance to it.
Don't - Imagine having a BBQ or lounging around the house of an evening listening to it. Good right?
Photograph - another lovely love song (too much). It's wonderful.
Tenerife Sea - Woah, another love song. I didn't realise there were so many.
Afire love - yeah, it's about love but it's a bit more upbeat. 
Shirtsleeves - lovey dovey I know - but again upbeat!


Have you listened to Multiply yet? Do you love it as much as I do? Let me know!

Rachael xoxo

P.s. The more I listen to it the more I love every single track. Give me a week and I'll probably think every song is a stand out track.

P.p.s. I'm really upset New York didn't make it to the final cut of the album - if you haven't heard it, listen to it on Youtube. It's really lovely and I hope it makes it onto a B-side.

P.p.s. It seems that my top tracks consist of half of the album - oops.

2 comments:

  1. Love his music. ;-)
    Lovely greets Nessa

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my favourite album at the moment, I'm so obsessed!! I love Ed Sheeran :-)
    xxx

    hannahcoroner.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete